Saturday, August 23, 2008

Seattle Trip

Goal: survey Seattle
Conclusion: Seattle is such a nice place
Assumption: 1)whatever I said is truth, 2)whatever I did is right
Methodology: intentionally selected a subset of Seattle's places (this could be totally biased, without my assumption2) and not intentionally selected a small period of time(1 week) to visit.

Survey details:
(Base point is 10, there is only one judge which is me. This is a totally fair judgment because of asumption1&2)
Place 1, Grand Hyatt Seattle (selected not by my intention which violates assumption1&2, I'm not responsible for misleading)

It has fancy bathroom(extra point +10), but without free Internet access(-10), not so fancy service but with a fancy price(-5), nice food(+2)
Summary: 7.0

Place 2, Space needle (selected by my intention thus it is definitely trustworthy)

It's the symbol of Seattle(+2) which is the reason I spent $16 on it. It is the same as the eastern pearl tower in Shanghai but much lower. Fortunately, buildings in Seattle are lower than buildings in Shanghai as well. The view is not that great in the day(-6), in the night? I don't know. I know this could lead to bias but based on my assumption1, sorry, I rule XD
Summary: 6.0

Place 3, Mountain Rainier (selected by my intention thus it is definitely trustworthy)

It is paradise, it is definitely where you should go. It got mysterious cloud surround it(+10) and beautiful flowers(+10) covering it. It got a bunch of lakes with different colors and shapes(+10), It got a variety of wild species making it vivid(+10). Oh, I love it so much.
Summary: 50.0


Place 4, Downtown (selected by my intention thus it is definitely trustworthy)

much better than LA(+5), compare to Beijing, hard to say(-5). At least I can walk along the street on 10pm during the night(Is this criterion too low? -_______-). It got nice shops, you can find most of the shops you want without driving. As to restaurant, no idea, cause most of time it is Grand Hyatt Seattle which was feeding me.. It got bars, but I've no idea about that. I had several drink, but I still prefer juice -_____-, at least alcoholic with juice..
Summary: 10.0

Place 5, Pike Place Market (
selected by my intention thus it is definitely trustworthy)

hmm... I still didn't get it why Americans like to visit market while they were traveling... my preference order is national parks>symbolic city architectures>restaurants>shopping places>whatever else. I am not going to cook during my trip although it got fancy fishes, shrimps and crabs. And I don't know how to rate this, so I'll just leave it unknown...
Summary: -

So, to summarize, the mean of Seattle rating is (7.0+6.0+50.0+10.0)/4=18.25, and the letter grade is A+++. If we eliminate the highest and the lowest, the mean rating is 8.5, and the letter grade is A-.

Warning: this work is totally biased without assumprion1&2 as mentioned before. And I am not responsible for misleading.

Thanks for reading~ XD

3 comments:

Unknown said...

em, you fully enjoyed your first business trip representing usc

Ji MA said...

Amazing, I was traveling along northwest pacific coast as well. Just came back.

I totally agree with you about Mt.Rainer. But I found Seattle is just...

Btw, how did you take the picture for Space Needle? That picture is so cool.

Claire said...

i didn't take those pics, haha, they are all from other ppl. see those links